10 things you wouldn’t admit to yourself
27 Sunday Jan 2013
Our human race is drowning in denial. We often find ourselves hiding the truth because of fear from judgment or self-inflicting shame. Here are the top things i could think of that you would never admit to yourself quick as thought.
1. You are broke – Though you know that you barely make a living, you sometimes spend beyond your means and end up being broke. Of course you will reward yourself and your savings will be bankrupted because you will never be satisfied with what you have. You won’t mind buying a cup of designer coffee everyday because it keeps you alive but in cumulative that coffee will cause the death of your wallet at the end of the year.
What you can do? Keep a percentage of your moolah in a place you wouldn’t easily find. Okay it sounds wrong and i cant get my point across! haha. Just don’t reward yourself for everything you do like brushing your teeth (it’s not a goal, it’s a must). Practice modest splurge.
2. You are drunk – Who the hell admits that they are drunk in the middle of the night? They usually pretend that they can drive safely until slowly the intoxication is consuming them. Even after hangover, they will never admit that they were drunk because they can’t remember anything. As Charles said, “That’s the problem with drinking. If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.”
What you can do? Take painkillers, drink plenty of water and get enough rest are the quickest ways to relieve yourself from some symptoms. Too much alcohol dehydrates your skin, increases calorie intake, or worse leads to accidents. It is a depressant not a stimulant.
3. You are not falling in love – It may be a two-way street or not but you never know that you are slowly being trapped in this Romeo and Juliet love story if at first you don’t realize or accept it. Actions and signs point you to it but your mind tells you otherwise. This universally happiness-inducing feeling makes you feel that you are living those love songs and movies.
What you can do? Know if it’s real transcendent love or just head-over-heels like. Some engage in this play-it-safe waiting game to ensure that they don’t end up getting hurt by someone who doesn’t return their feelings. If it’s worth the risk, you can finally say what you feel (or maybe even show) and maybe live that happily ever after.
4. You are not over him or her – You never admit or say to yourself that your last relationship has ended. After all, it is the first stage of the Kübler-Ross model. You pin your hope upon second chances and nostalgia kills every flesh in you. It feels that it will take you bajillion years to be able to let go, or you have never even thought of moving on because you want him/her back.
What you can do? Take time. But i learned that time doesn’t really heal, it’s what you do with time that heals. Be strong because it happened for a reason and learn from everything because in time, you’ll be happy again.
5. You forget things – Forgetfulness is being used as an excuse by some people for their irresponsibility or carelessness but if you are a natural in this trait, then you must be really like Dory from Finding Nemo. Though, this doesn’t include cutting of the rope from social repercussions or insignificant lover, forgetfulness can cause or create conflicts. You may forget a date that you should have celebrated or you may forget to finish an important errand, until you won’t remember your name anymore (pun intended).
What you can do? Keep a planner or organizer handy. Use your phone or iPads to remind you from time to time your tasks and goals for the day. You can even put a post-it on your forehead just so you won’t forget things hahaha. If you are like me who starts the day with no plans at all then end up having so much to do before the day ends, then you are screwed. I’m a spontaneous person but sometimes i fail to organize or finish tasks at hand fast.
6. You made a mistake - The past is long gone and a mistake does not define you. Only some really admit their wrongdoings because “losing face” holds them back. It takes guts and tons of breaths to say that you are at fault and to ask for forgiveness, much more to make up for it. I usually spill that i am wrong (if i am wrong) because i value relationships from the people i love more than my pride.
What you can do? Brave the waters and be real. No one is perfect (yes cliche as it sounds) but what makes us better than others is if we know how to apologize or admit whatever we did was wrong. You gain more respect from people than those who pretends or blusters that they weren’t responsible (for example). Then learn from it and move on.
7. You lied - Telling someone something that they don’t want to hear, or telling them about something you did can be one of the hardest things you can do. It can hurt or possibly ruin a friendship, but it is true that the truth will set you free. You wouldn’t want to carry a burden of lies all your life, right?
What you can do? Be honest.
8. You have failed – No one wants to tell the world that they have failed nor they want others to know about it. Failing takes a toll on us partly because we think we are not good enough and we also think of how others will judge us. Failing will help us start over again and it is another chance to be better. When we have failed, we grow as a person.
What you can do? Keep going. Life is like that. Sometimes we think that we are on the top already and reality hits us, we scramble down at the bottom. Sometimes we are stuck and we find it impossible to reach our dreams but then we find ourselves on cloud nine because we made it happen. Never give up! Life is a never-ending learning journey of ups and downs. But it all matters on our perspective and disposition, that’s where it actually makes a difference.
9. You eat like there’s no tomorrow – You are what you eat. Having a belly stuffed with comforting food can feel like a warm hug from the inside. Our brains reward us for it, by releasing pleasure chemicals and helps control pain- in the same way as drugs and alcohol, experts say. So we indulge in everything sweet or salty and for sure you will be fatty.
What you can do? Eat in moderation and exercise. Do not starve yourself because most likely, you will eat more afterwards. Hit the gym thrice a week and be healthy in all ways possible.
10. You are flawed - Every scar, every quirks and idiosyncrasies make us who we are. So we don’t have to change to benefit others or to turn us into someone we are not. You may be super clumsy like me or you may not like how you look but these characterize us and differs us from the rest. We may not admit it, but it is better if we just accept it. We can break free from our bad habits and weaknesses but we should love everything else that is left.
What you can do? Admit your flaws and shortcomings so that no one can use it against you. Then proactively change for the better because progress is progress no matter how small. After all, our flaws and imperfections define us.
Here’s to a better and happier life!