19 Wednesday Oct 2011
No combination of words can fully define me but if there’s one thing that would characterize me greatly is that i am optimistic at best. I see beauty in everything and the good in everyone. Being a positive thinker means i can accept and understand things easier and makes me a better person in some sense. Optimism doesn’t mean you are blinded by the truth or you are out of touch with reality. It doesn’t pertain to behaving in a naive way or plainly ignoring your adversities. It’s not the opposite of someone who is realist, someone who simply sees things the way they are, or skeptical, a healthy way to avoid being taken advantage of.
I have learned from The Secret the law of attraction (i’ll prolly write about that soon). What you think about, you bring about. Your thoughts become things. Why be an optimist? Optimism keeps you motivated and energetic, pursuing what you want with confidence and courage. On the other end, being pessimistic, someone who always assumes the worst, can have negative consequences on your life and your relationship to others. It will cloud your judgement, you will miss opportunities and you fail to take action to life improvement. Pessimism breeds indecision and it is impractical. It will develop chronic illnesses later on in life. So i have listed my own ways on being a positive person. I am not being preachy here but these helped me a lot in dealing with the things called life, love and everything in between. I just want to share it and i hope these will help you in one way or another.
10 Ways to be optimistic:
1. Always remember that things happen for a purpose. Have faith and hope for the future. One day you’ll look back and you’ll be able to connect the dots. In time you’ll be able to laugh about the things that embarrassed you or realize why you got hurt. As cliche as it seems, there’s a reason for everything. Look at the bright side always but never fail to take into an account of the other important things.
2. Never forget to have an attitude of gratitude. It makes you feel contented and satisfied with whoever you are and whatever you have. You are imperfect and different. You are human. You are enough. You are worth it. And by remembering that you can lose everything, you’ll be able to learn how to appreciate before it is too late.
Happiest people don’t have the best of everything, they just make the most out of what they have and they see things beyond life’s imperfections
3. If some things don’t work out the way you want them to be, trust that God has a better plan that awaits you and He will never give you anything you can’t surpass. God gives us obstacles to direct, inspect, correct, protect and perfect us. You are strong enough to live it. Some people come in your life as blessings, others come in as lessons. If life is perfect, there won’t be anymore things left for us to do or to hope for.
When you can’t change the direction of the wind; adjust your sails – H. Jackson Brown
4. No matter how difficult, discouraging or disappointing your life is now, it will pass. You are still blessed with the people who love you and you are lucky enough because some people are fighting a harder battle than you. Life still goes on. Don’t cry because some things are over, smile because it happened and know that there are never enough reasons to stay sad. Understand that if you dwell too much on the bad things, we miss out the good ones. Always remember that everything will be alright.
Everything will be okay in the end, if it’s not okay then it’s not yet the end.
5. Practice Love and Compassion. Doing so will dissolve all the negativity in our life and it can part seas, move mountains and create miracles. Don’t give up your goodness when the people around you sting. Don’t let the pain make you bitter. Don’t let the world make you hard. Never regret anything or hate anyone.
6. Make each day count by seizing the day. The art of being happy is delighting in simple things in life. By living and loving life as if it’s your last, you are able to understand that there is more to life. I am not saying that you party all night or make bad decisions that you will regret later. Still be responsible for all your actions and karma’s just around the corner. If you plan to be a badass, then make sure you are ready to face its consequences.
It helps you make the big choices in life because almost everything – all the external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is important. -Steve Jobs
We only have 86, 400 seconds in a day to turn it all around or throw it all away (i know it’s from a song haha). So take many photos, laugh until you’re crying, stand up like you’ve never fallen, dance like no one is watching, sing like no one is listening and love like you’ve never been hurt because every 60 seconds you spend is a minute of happiness you can’t get back. Carpe Diem!
7. Do what you love and never stop trying. Fear only cripples life and in the long run you will not be able to achieve or gain anything. If you win you’ll be happy and if you lose, you’ll be wiser. To fail means you have tried, to hurt means you have loved and to survive means you have learned. Your problems either define you, destroy you or let it strengthen you.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty- W. Churchill
8. Keep a list of motivational and inspiring quotes handy. Read this everyday and it will improve your body, mind and soul. List also positive affirmations such as ‘anything is possible’ or ‘i can do it’ or ‘i will be happy’. They say that the key to happiness is the excitement for the future. And by setting goals, you have a more positive outlook towards life.
9. To create more positive results in your life, replace “what if” with “next time”. You can always use the phrase “at least” to help you be more optimistic. Plus find ways to diffuse stress and tension. Think happy thoughts. Think positively and you’ll be able to live like one.
10. Learn to let go and move on with life. Forgive those who have hurt you, even though they aren’t sorry. Then forgive yourself too. Accept what you can’t change. Let go of the past, failures, defeat, rejections, doubts, worries and pain. Fear and cynicism are pervasive. Surround yourself with non-toxic people, those who always rub off on your face all your faults and shortcomings. You simply look ahead these people and let them wallow in their past and unhappiness. Though it’s not always easy, explain setbacks to yourself in a way that gives you strength, resilience, and determination.
“Be a balanced optimist. Nobody’s suggesting that you become an oblivious Pollyanna, pretending that nothing bad can or ever will happen. Instead, be a rational optimist who takes the good with the bad, in hopes of the good ultimately outweighing the bad, and with the understanding that being pessimistic about everything accomplishes nothing. Prepare for the worst but hope for the best – the former makes you sensible, and the latter makes you an optimist.” Source
I think being a positive person can make you live a fulfilling and successful life. You will be amazed how infectious your disposition is to other people. You are not born with a grey cloud over your head. It’s all about perception and how you see light in every darkness. You turn every heartbreak into a lesson and every failure as a fuel to carry on. Having a positive outlook makes your whole life a lot better and happier. You will be a lot wiser and stronger if you see things from a brand new perspective. You will succeed in life, love and career. The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible and achieves the impossible.