It is human’s perpetual nature to judge other people or compare their lives to others. They prey on other people’s lives wasting every minute of their lives criticizing what people are doing and what people have done. They will bring others to the lowest of low so that they can feel good about themselves (and because you have something they can never have). They have ill intentions and motives, and they never want you to be happy. It makes them sick seeing that you have a good life and that you are blessed with family and friends. They are pretending to be your friends so that they can secretly bring you down like rivals. Little do you know, you’ll be having a toxic life already. But when do you know if your friends have been doing that same thing to you? I have come up with a list on how to spot frenemies.
1. The Two Faced – They fake a smile in front of you and the moment you have turned your back, they are saying nasty, mean things about you. They are like the plastics. They may seem honest, look concerned, be on your side and they call you “bestfriend”. They may have been a part of your life for a long time so they know all your weaknesses & fears and they can use it against you. Sometimes, there is a specific event that causes a major betrayal. Many times i have confronted what i believed to be my friends to be stabbing me at the back, they just either deny it or continue doing so. There is chance that they have crossed you once (you caught them badmouthing you) or they are doing it to other people. If so, they are most likely bashing you too.
2. The Needy – They only appear when they need something. They spring up and suddenly message you if they are in need of help. And when you, yourself need a friend to talk to about your problems, they are out of sight. They brush you off the moment you have mentioned you are working on a new project or plan. They bail and have this way of wriggling out just not to help you when you most need it. They are never reciprocally there for you.
3. The Alpha – They hate it to see you successful in your career. They are sour graping at your love and relationships with your family. They scorn seeing you have a good life. They pick at your failures and mistakes in the past. They backbite you and spoil your friendships with other people. They are annoyed with whatever you do. And when you feel like on top of the world, they say words that hurt like knives. In short, they don’t want to see you happy. They have this need to feel good about themselves if they think you are worse than them, so they resort to taking and tearing you down. Whenever you try to improve yourself, such as by losing weight, studying harder or aiming for a promotion, they do their best to sabotage your efforts. They are one-upper and everything they do is always one up better than you.
4. The Negative – They may or may not be your friends but these people will have zero self-control with their mouth. They blurt out all their negative attitude and thoughts, especially with your decisions and choices in life. It’s like you subscribed to their cynical judgment. They have this uncanny ability to have an opinion about everything and everyone, and most of the time it is pessimistic. They soak all their energy to drain your happiness and optimism in life. They are insensitive and insincere often that their offensive remarks are hurtful. Being with them always leaves you feeling unsupported and miserable.
5. The Green-eyed – They are secretly intimidated, jealous or threatened by you. Your true friends can see it (and tell you not to trust them anymore) but you give these bitches another chance, and another, until you have grown tired from understanding them and forgiving them. They tweet insinuating remarks and these are secretly about you. They have direct snide comment on your posts but still appear to be nice. They have unnecessary notions. They hate you for what you have got because they don’t have it or can’t have it. They condescend for your new things or experiences. They loath you because they can’t be like you. It is a recipe for a self-esteem disaster and a downward spiral of zero self confidence. They will always degrade you, compare their lives to you and compete with you.
6. The Fake – It is very similar to number five. They give you backhanded compliments like straight up “you look ugly today” or “i love your apartment! so little”. They make jokes at your expense. They have it smushed all over your face and these comments are the ones you expect to hear just from your mother. Sometimes we slip and say stupid things too but the difference between a true friend and a frenemy is intent. A real friend might hurt your feelings on accident, but a frenemy means to say something to bother you. They raise doubts about your self-worth and everything in between. They are here in this world to tell you that, no matter how well you’re doing, you could always be doing better (or, as is often the case, they are doing better themselves). They remind you of your place in this world.
7. The Manipulative Jerk – They are as manipulative as you can imagine. They weasel into your life and pretend everything is okay. They are passive-aggresive and can eventually turn tables when they are caught off guard. They have their ways of making themselves look nicer when in fact it is the contradictory. You may have unintentionally hurt them before but they are up for revenge (or at least hurt you the way you’ve done to them). If you piss this person off, they can be dangerous with the right kind of information. They will never stop.
8. The Naysayers – They are the nosy ones with the hidden agenda. They are lurking especially on social networking sites. Most likely, they are just acquaintances. They gossip and leech through your life as much juicy information as they can. Be careful not to share your private secrets or personal life with them as they are ready to unleash to the world about your personal struggles, pending decisions, financial woes, etc. They can spread rumors (true or not) to taint your name and reputation. People will suddenly have all the right in the world to their opinion and mock you. The naysayers denigrate and judge people until they feel good about themselves.
You want to know why i know all of these? Because i’ve had frenemies before (and probably i still have one now). They made me feel like a crap and a loser. I was once told i wasn’t good enough. I was once told i had ugly horse teeth and thunder thighs. I was once told i can’t do this, i can’t be like that. No matter what good i have done, they never fail to slap me in the face with regrets and fear. But you know what i did? I killed them with kindness and proved them all wrong. I used the bricks thrown at me to build an empire and keep me stronger and so much better. I have always known myself and i knew better so stooping down to their levels doesn’t even matter. God knows how many knives have hurt me and how much tears i have shed. But as long as i’ve got my family, God and a few real friends, i will always be okay. I didn’t give up even if everyone around me stings.
Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. And once you’ve accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.
Frenemies damage trust and burn bridges. But if you know how to spot them, deal with them and not let them control your life, you’ll be fine. Come to think of it, sometimes you have haters because you stood up for something in your life. Never let anyone hurt you without your consent. Learn who are worth your trust and respect. Know and invest on genuine friends. Always live a good life that if anyone says badly of you, no one would believe it. Know when to phase them out and cut the rope because unhealthy relationships will wreak havoc mentally, emotionally and physically. Avoiding them or not hanging out with them anymore is not being mean because they were never your friends to begin with. And it is always better to have a few real friends than to have a bunch who are all fakes and frenemies. But be careful also because as much as you hate your frenemies, you might be turning one yourself.